Updated COVID-19 Practice Guidance and FAQs
August 14, 2020
The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) continues to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, related provincial guidance and questions and concerns from Massage Therapists (RMTs/MTs). Thank you for the questions you have sent to us and for the work you are doing to keep the public safe from COVID-19.
Following a review of recent changes to Ministry of Health resources, as well as questions from RMTs, CMTO has updated the COVID-19 Pandemic Practice Guidance for Massage Therapists. Updates include:
- Hand sanitizer alcohol concentration now 70%-90% (as a result of updated government guidance), and more information on providing tissues and lined garbage bins for use by staff and clients
- Requirement to provide a surgical/procedure mask if clients screen positive at practice setting
- Clarification on client screening – clients must be screened twice i.e. once before arriving for their appointment, and again upon arrival
- Clarification on RMT mask use – all levels of surgical/procedure masks are acceptable; it is best practice to change masks after each client but must change when wet, soiled or damaged
- Recommendation for all staff at practice settings to wear surgical/procedure masks when present
- Tool added: Public Health Ontario’s Performing a Risk Assessment Related to Routine Practice and Additional Precautions – for conducting individual risk assessments to determine if additional personal protective equipment is warranted
- Recommendation to engage with landlords to ensure cleaning of common spaces
- Additional information about what needs to be documented in the client health record
- Information on self-monitoring requirements for RMTs
For full details, please review the COVID-19 Pandemic Practice Guidance for Massage Therapists (you can easily navigate to the updated sections of the document by clicking on the links).
RMTs are expected to comply with this updated guidance, as it plays a key role in ensuring clients and RMTs are protected during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have questions, please contact CMTO’s Practice Specialist at email@example.com or by phone at (416) 489-2626/1-800-465-1933 extension 4124.