CMTO is committed to supporting and advancing research, and the evidence-informed practice of Massage Therapy.
CMTO’s support of research is related to our responsibilities in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, to:
- develop, establish and maintain programs and Standards of Practice to assure the quality of the practice of the profession; and
- develop, establish and maintain standards of knowledge and skill and programs to promote continuing evaluation, competence and improvement among registrants.
It is important to note that through our support of Massage Therapy research, CMTO does not take any position that aims to promote Massage Therapy. Rather, CMTO has three primary reasons for supporting Massage Therapy research:
- Support the generation of knowledge that informs the delivery of Massage Therapy treatments to optimize the health of Ontarians;
- Support public access to competent and knowledgeable Massage Therapists; and
- Provide evidence-informed information that is useful to the public in making healthcare decisions.
CMTO will continue to carry out its responsibilities in the research context in two ways:
- Providing Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs/MTs) with educational content, such as information on evidence-informed practice (EIP).
- Providing RMTs with access to Research Resources that are relevant to the practice of Massage Therapy.