A Certificate of Registration and registration number are issued by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) to applicants who meet the requirements for registration. The Certificate of Registration and registration number must be handled in a safe and secure manner by both the registrant and CMTO to prevent their unauthorized use by individuals not registered with the CMTO.
- Only one Certificate of Registration and registration number is issued to each registrant. The Certificate and number remain the property of CMTO.
- The Certificate of Registration is to be posted in the registrant’s primary place of practice. If a registrant practices in more than one location, CMTO’s Public Register can be used to verify registration to the public, clients and employers.
- A registrant’s failure to safeguard a Certificate of Registration or registration number from any fraudulent use could constitute professional misconduct as it could be considered disgraceful, dishonourable or disregard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by registrants as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional.
- The Certificate of Registration and registration number may not be transferred, photocopied, or duplicated in any manner.
- A registrant may not rent or sell their Certificate of Registration or the corresponding registration number to anyone for any purpose. The registration number is to be used only by the Registered Massage Therapist to whom it is assigned on receipts issued by them for Massage Therapy services provided by them.
- If a registrant holds Inactive status, their Certificate of Registration may not be displayed in a place of business.
- If a retiring registrant wishes to keep their Certificate of Registration, the registrant must notify CMTO in writing of this request by e-mailing the Registration Services department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registrants are responsible for taking their Certificate of Registration with them upon leaving their place of primary employment.
Approved: June 19, 1995
Amended: November 19, 1999
Amended: September 20, 2004
Amended: March 7, 2005
Amended: September 1, 2020