In accordance with the Registration Regulation made under the Massage Therapy Act, 1991, registrants with a General Certificate of Registration may only practise Massage Therapy if they have:
- Provided at least 500 hours of direct client care within the previous three (3) years, or
- Successfully completed a refresher course approved by CMTO within the previous 15 months.
Section 3 of the Massage Therapy Act, 1991 states:
“The practice of massage therapy is the assessment of the soft tissue and joints of the body and the treatment and prevention of physical dysfunction and pain of the soft tissues and joints by manipulation to develop, maintain, rehabilitate or augment physical function, or relieve pain.”
In order to meet the currency requirement for maintaining a General Certificate of Registration, registrants must have either completed a CMTO-approved refresher program within the previous 15 months, or must have provided a minimum of 500 hours of direct client care within the scope of practice of the profession within the previous three years.
To count within the 500 hours of direct client care, the activities undertaken must:
- Be completed by a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT or MT) in a regulated jurisdiction in Canada, and
- Contribute to the RMT maintaining competence in Massage Therapy assessment and treatment.
Direct client care includes:
- Massage Therapy services provided on behalf of a client, and/or
- Supervision of a Massage Therapist or Massage Therapy student who is providing Massage Therapy services on behalf of a client.
Direct client care activities include:
- Assessment of the soft tissue and joints.
- Recommending, developing, or implementing a treatment plan based on the assessment of the client’s needs.
- Treatment of the soft tissue and joints.
- Conducting or supervising research in Massage Therapy that involves the assessment or treatment of clients with soft tissue or joint disorders.
- Overseeing and evaluating Massage Therapists or Massage Therapy students in a clinical setting
Adopted September 20, 2004 and revised May 15, 2017