CMTO has established a Funding for Therapy and Counselling Program in accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, (RHPA). The program provides funding for therapy and counselling to Massage Therapy clients who were sexually abused by registrants of the College. The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO)’s Client Relations Committee administers the fund.
If you have been sexually abused by a Registered Massage Therapist, you may qualify for this program. A person is eligible for funding if any of the following situations apply:
- (a) It is alleged (in a complaint or report) that the applicant, while a client, was sexually abused by a registrant or former registrant;
- (b) There has been a finding by a panel of the College’s Discipline Committee that the applicant, while a client, was sexually abused by a registrant or former registrant;
- (c) A registrant or former registrant enters into an undertaking with the College to provide funding for therapy and counselling;
- (d) There is an admission made by a registrant in a statement to the College or in an agreement with the College that he or she sexually abused the applicant while the applicant was a client of the registrant or former registrant;
- (e) A registrant or former registrant has been convicted under the Criminal Code (Canada) of sexually assaulting the applicant while the applicant was a client of the registrant or former registrant and the facts supporting the sexual assault constitute sexual abuse within the meaning of the Health Professions Procedural Code;
- (f) There is a statement, contained in the written reasons of a committee of the College given after a hearing, that the applicant, while a client, was sexually abused by a registrant or former registrant; or
- (g) There is sufficient evidence presented to the Client Relations Committee to support a reasonable belief that the applicant, while a client, was sexually abused by a registrant or former registrant.
The maximum funding available to each applicant is established by the RHPA and is equivalent to the amount that the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) would pay for 200 half-hour sessions of individual out-patient psychotherapy with a psychiatrist. This funding amounts to $17,370 per person and is accessible over a five-year period. Under the RHPA, the funding provided is reduced by the amount that OHIP or a private insurer is willing to pay.
Choice of Counsellor/Therapist
Applicants are free to choose any therapist or counsellor to provide treatment, as long as the therapist or counsellor is not a relative and has not been found guilty of sexual abuse. However, if the therapist or counsellor is not a member of a regulated health profession, they are not subject to professional discipline by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) or any other health regulatory body.
Applicants can access the fund for more than one therapist or counsellor if they so choose. The funds are paid directly to the chosen therapist or counsellor for treatment provided.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit an application form to CMTO. You will be asked to keep information about your application confidential.
Completed applications should be mailed to:
Director, Policy and Communications
College of Massage Therapists of Ontario
1867 Yonge Street, Suite 810
Toronto, ON M4S 1Y5
If you have further questions please contact the Policy and Communications department at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 1-800-465-1933/416-489-2626 ext 4129.