member: Terri Knuuttila
Hearing Date: August 23, 2000
Charge of Professional Misconduct
- Engaging in conduct or performing an act, in the course of practising the profession that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional.
Brief Synopsis of Facts
- The wife of a client of the member filed a complaint with the College relating to the member’s involvement with her husband.
- The member treated the client for a period of 8 months then commenced a personal relationship with the client.
- The member pleaded guilty to the charges of professional misconduct.
The panel accepted the member’s plea, finding her guilty of the charges.
- 30 day suspension
- Completion of the College’s workshop, “Making Ethical Decisions and Maintaining Personal Boundaries”.
- Costs of $750.
Panel’s Reason For Decision
The panel found the evidence supported the member’s plea and that members must be mindful of maintaining professional boundaries.