member: Desmond Saunders
Hearing Date(s): December 19, 2000
Charges of Professional Misconduct
- Contravening a standard of the profession or a published standard of the College or failing to maintain the standard of practice of the profession;
- Engaging in conduct or performing an act, in the course of practising the profession, that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional;
- Abusing a client verbally and physically; and
- Sexual abuse of a client.
Brief Synopsis of Fact
- An Agreed Statement of Facts was submitted which established that the client attended the member’s practice on September 26, 1998 for a full- body massage.
- During the course of the massage, the member touched the client inappropriately in a sexual manner and made remarks of a sexual nature.
- The member pleaded guilty to the charges.
The Panel accepted the member’s guilty plea, finding the member guilty of professional misconduct.
- Revocation of the member’s Certificate of Registration;
- A written Reprimand;
- Publication of the Decision; and
- No Costs were imposed.
Panel’s Reasons For Decision
The allegations against the member were not disputed and accordingly in support of the zero tolerance policy the mandatory penalty was imposed. The panel did not impose a cost award given the member’s financial situation and difficulties with recovering payment of such costs.