member: Germain, MT and Mark Riddell, MT
Hearing Date: August 23, 2000
Charges of Professional Misconduct
- Engaging in conduct or performing an act, in the course of practising the profession that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable, or unprofessional.
Brief Synopsis of Facts
- The members entered into an agreement to exchange therapeutic massage treatments with each other on a weekly basis.
- After the treatments commenced the members had a sexual encounter with each other.
- The sexual relations took place on only one occasion and the members immediately stopped the treatments.
- Both members pleaded guilty to the charge and entered into counseling.
The panel accepted the members’ plea and found the members guilty of the charges.
- 3-month suspension;
- Completion of the College’s workshop, “Making Ethical Decisions and Maintaining Personal Boundaries Workshop;
- Costs of $750.00.
Panel’s Reasons For Decision
The panel found the circumstances of this case unusual in that both parties were members. The panel took into consideration when determining the penalty that the members’ recognized the inappropriateness of their conduct and entered into counseling to address the issue. The panel therefore found the penalty imposed was appropriate.