Pour de l’assistance ou des renseignements en français, veuillez contacter email@example.com
To practice Massage Therapy in Ontario, you must be registered with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO). Only those registered with CMTO may use the protected titles “Registered Massage Therapist” (“RMT”) or “Massage Therapist” (“MT”). Both titles are equivalent and mean that the holder of the title is registered with CMTO.
The requirements for registration are outlined in the Registration Regulation under the Massage Therapy Act, 1991. To become an RMT in Ontario, you must:
- Successfully complete a recognized Massage Therapy education program.
- Complete CMTO’s Certification Examinations. There are two examinations:
- the Multiple-Choice Question (MCQ) examination and
- the Objectively Structured Clinical Evaluation (OSCE).
- Submit a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Demonstrate that you are permitted to work in Ontario by providing evidence of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency in Canada, or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act(Canada)
- Demonstrate that you are able to speak and write either English or French with reasonable fluency (by meeting the requirements of CMTO’s Language Fluency Policy).
- Provide proof of professional liability insurance as required by CMTO’s By-laws.
- Satisfy the Registration Committee that your past and present conduct provide reasonable grounds for the belief that you:
- Will practice Massage Therapy with decency, honesty and integrity, and in accordance with the law;
- Do not have any physical or mental condition or disorder that could affect your ability to practice Massage Therapy in a safe manner; and
- Will display an appropriately professional attitude.
- Submit a Letter of Standing Form for Registration with CMTO if you are currently practicing or have previously practiced in any regulated profession, including Massage Therapy, in Ontario or any other jurisdiction. The letter must come directly to CMTO from the professional regulator.
New Requirement Effective January 1, 2022
Transcript Submission: A transcript demonstrating successful completion of a recognized Massage Therapy Education program is required. Applicants may submit the transcript in the form it is provided by the educational institution or request their school send an official transcript to CMTO. Original paper transcripts must be mailed to CMTO while electronic transcripts can be uploaded directly by the applicant when applying for registration through CMTO’s online Applicant Portal. Official electronic transcripts sent by the school can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CMTO also has a CPR and First Aid Policy that requires applicants to submit proof of current certification in CPR at the Heart saver level or higher and in First Aid at the Emergency level or higher.
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
- Applying for Registration
- Initial Registration Guide
- Initial Registration Document Checklist
- Initial Registration Fees
- Registrar Review Flow Chart
- Mapping of Registration Requirements to the Inter-Jurisdictional Competency Standards
- Policy: Certificate of Registration
- Fair Registration Practices Reports