CMTO’s online Jurisprudence Program provides an overview of the legislation and standards that govern the Massage Therapy profession in Ontario.
The program is designed to provide a review of the requirements and expectations for delivering quality, safe and client-centred care.
The Jurisprudence Program has three parts and covers the following topics:
- Prevention of Sexual Abuse and the Standards of Practice;
- Legislation and Regulation; and
- Professionalism and the Code of Ethics.
Each part includes a knowledge test at the end to help support the learnings. A passing score of 70% is required on each of the tests. The full program takes about 4 hours to complete and is available at no charge.
The program is currently mandatory for Refresher Course participants. For RMTs who are not taking a Refresher Course, the program is optional. As of January 2024, the program will be a mandatory requirement for all new applicants applying to CMTO.
Starting January 2024, all applicants applying to become RMTs with CMTO will be required to complete three parts of the online Jurisprudence Program and receive a passing score of 70% or higher on the evaluative tests. Applicants will be asked to:
- access the Jurisprudence Program only after they have successfully completed their certification examinations; and
- complete the program within three months of starting, and before submitting their registration application to CMTO.
The program is valid for six months after its completion.
Learn more about applying for registration.
CMTO’s Refresher Course consists of a jurisprudence component and a tutoring component. Applicants and RMTs who are participating in the Refresher Course will be required to:
- Take the online Jurisprudence Program before the tutoring component.
- Complete three parts of the Jurisprudence Program in any order and evaluative tests. All parts must be completed within three months of starting.
The online Jurisprudence Program is available to all RMTs as optional continuing education. Completion of the Jurisprudence Program may be used to fulfil RMTs’ professional learning goals. RMTs can access the Jurisprudence Program through the STRiVE platform. Once logged in, click the button labelled “Jurisprudence Program” to begin.