Draft Advertising and Records Standards of Practice
In 2022, updated Standards of Practice came into effect. The Standards play an important role in healthcare regulation and public protection by setting the requirements and expectations for Registered Massage Therapists (RMTs) in Ontario.
CMTO continues to modernize and adapt to trends in professional regulation and part of this involves streamlining regulations. Currently, CMTO’s General Regulation includes the advertising and record keeping requirements for RMTs, which are summarized in a guide to advertising and a guide to record keeping. When requirements are in regulation, CMTO works with the Ontario Government to make changes. This is a process which can take months or years.
To allow CMTO to be more responsive to changes in Massage Therapy practice and client expectations, CMTO developed a draft Standard of Practice: Advertising and a draft Standard of Practice: Records to replace the existing requirements in the General Regulation. The Standards of Practice were developed with input from RMTs on the Standards of Practice Advisory Group. Now, CMTO would like to hear from you!
Summary of Changes
Current advertising requirements remain the same and the draft Standard of Practice: Advertising also proposes that RMTs:
- Protect client privacy and confidentiality.
- Only promote services or products that are within the scope of practice and separate advertising if the RMT practises another profession.
- Use names as they appear on the public register when advertising.
Current record keeping requirements remain the same and the draft Standard of Practice: Records also proposes that RMTs:
- Identify their role and responsibility related to privacy legislation in every practice and ensure those details are reflected in applicable agreements for their practice.
- Ensure that information is recorded/documented in English or French, is legible and is recorded in a timely manner.
- Follow provided guidance for making corrections and changes to client health records.
Before submitting your feedback, we encourage you to review the following materials:
- Draft Standard of Practice: Advertising
- Draft Standard of Practice: Records
- Advertising and Record Keeping sections in the General Regulation
You are invited to provide feedback via the survey for the Advertising Standard and the survey for the Records Standard. You may also join the discussion by submitting your comments on our new discussion board below. The deadline to submit your feedback is July 18, 2023. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CMTO will consider all feedback received and finalize the Standards of Practice. Before the new Standards take effect, they must be reviewed by the Ontario Government, and the existing regulations rescinded. Until CMTO advises that the new Advertising and Record Keeping Standards of Practice are in place, the existing regulations remain in effect.