CMTO’s role, authority and powers are set out in the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA), the Health Professions Procedural Code (the “Code,” which is Schedule 2 to the RHPA), and the Massage Therapy Act, 1991. There are also specific regulations made under both the RHPA and the Massage Therapy Act.
Legislation and Regulation
The following is a list of legislation and regulations relevant to Massage Therapy in Ontario.
- Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991
- Massage Therapy Act, 1991
- Health Care Consent Act, 1996 (HCCA)
- Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA)
To access these and all other Ontario acts and regulations online, or if any of the above links are unavailable, please visit the Government of Ontario’s e-laws website to search alphabetically or by name.
The Health Professions Procedural Code gives CMTO’s Council authority to make by-laws relating to the College’s administration and operations:
- No. 1- Conduct of the Business and Administration of the Affairs of the College
- No. 2- Election of Members to Council
- No. 3- The Election of the Officers of the College
- No. 4- The Council of the College
- No. 5- Committees of the College
- No. 6- Non-Council Members
- No. 7- Fees for Registration, Examinations and Other Activities of the College
- No. 8- The Register and Registrant Information
- No. 9- The Registrar
- No. 10- Professional Liability Insurance
- No. 11- Code of Ethics
- No. 12- Professional Corporations
- No. 13- Authorizing the Making of Grants