Some other Canadian provinces have adopted the Massage Therapy Competency Standards in their educational programmes and use the item bank developed for the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario’s certification examinations.
This policy statement has been created for Massage Therapy graduates from other Canadian provinces to clarify how the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario interprets examination failures in other provinces which examine Massage Therapy competencies using the College’s item banks.
- In setting the examinations to be taken by applicants to the College for registration, the College shall specify the general areas of competency to be examined and shall ensure that the examinations provide a reliable and valid measure of a candidate’s competency in knowledge, skills and ability for the practice of Massage Therapy in Ontario. O. Reg. 266/04, s. 1.
- Written and practical examinations shall be offered at least twice yearly and at such other times as the Council considers necessary. O. Reg. 266/04, s. 1.
- (1) Subject to subsection (2), a candidate who fails the examinations may apply for re-examination. O. Reg. 266/04, s. 1.
(2) In every case where a candidate has failed the examinations three times after obtaining a diploma from a Massage Therapy programme acceptable to the Registration Committee, the candidate is not eligible to apply to take the examinations again without obtaining another diploma from a Massage Therapy programme acceptable to the Registration Committee. O. Reg. 266/04, s. 1.
- Ontario Regulation 712/93 (Examinations) made under the Act continues to apply to a person who had, before the revocation of that regulation, applied to take the examinations for the purpose of applying to the College for registration. O. Reg. 266/04, s. 1.
The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario has determined that any failed attempt at either the multiple choice (MCQ) or the Objectively Structured Clinical Evaluation (OSCE) examinations in other provinces which are using the Ontario examination item banks and are testing the same competencies that the College tests is equivalent to failing the certification examination in Ontario.
Applicants who have failed either of the examinations three times in a jurisdiction which uses the College’s examination item banks will be required to obtain a new diploma from a programme acceptable to the Registration Committee to become eligible to take the examinations in Ontario.
Approved: August 25, 2008