The MTRF was established in 2004 by contributions from the Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario (RMTAO), the Registered Massage Therapists Association of British Columbia (RMTBC), individual Massage Therapists and the public.
The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) has been the primary contributor to the MTRF since 2006.
The primary purpose of the MTRF is to fund high-quality and rigorous research in Massage Therapy that is useful to both the public in making health care decisions and Massage Therapists in the delivery of care. Its research priorities are:
- Massage Therapy effectiveness, efficacy and safety;
- Access to and delivery of Massage Therapy services;
- Professionalization of Massage Therapy;
- Massage Therapy competencies and competency assessment;
- Evaluation of Massage Therapy practices; and
- Special calls for specific topics, as approved by CMTO.
The Applied Research, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Services (ARIES) at Centennial College administers the MTRF. This includes managing fund allocation, ensuring high academic quality and adherence to ethical standards.